Thursday, September 16, 2010

VPI 16.5 - Record Cleaning Machine - For 78s?




I bought this machine from a friend six years ago and have used it periodically on LPs with mixed results.  It gets all the surface dirt and dust off the record, but I can never seem to get out those faint pops and crackles from the deep hidden dirt particles.  For the longest time I thought the VPI wouldn't work on 78s.  Much to my suprise and delight, it does an amazing job on shellac.  I pulled a couple of Frankie Trumbauer Brunswicks out of the stacks.  Both these records looked great after cleaning and played E+ or better.  No noise from dirt.  The VPI doesn't work miracles.  A V record is still a V record even if it's clean.  But for the E records in your collection the VPI may very well make those records sound New.

I recommend the Nitty Gritty Pure 1 record cleaning solution as well.  It's made for 78s and does no damage.  It's available at www.needledoctor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment